Vicky Vreeland has secured more than $65 million in awards and settlement over the course of her career and has been described in Trial News as "one of the state’s leading trial lawyers." She has a reputation for taking on difficult cases, and has pursued cases for her clients against multinational corporations and small businesses, pharmaceuticals, government agencies, judges, lawyers, corporate directors and officers, school districts and individuals.
Each case is unique, and prior results do not determine the results in another case. Examples below provide information on the kinds of cases we have handled:
Employment/Civil Rights Cases
- Passantino v. Johnson & Johnson (1997) – Secured a landmark jury verdict of $11.7 million, plus costs and full fees awarded by the court for a female National Account Manager for J & J. Ms. Passantino raised issues of gender discrimination with her employer and suffered numerous acts of retaliation which destroyed her career. The jury awarded $2.1 million in economic losses, $1 million in emotional distress damages, and $8.6 million in punitive damages. Due to a federal cap on punitive damages, the court was forced to reduce the punitive award to $300,000. It also awarded over $500,000 in costs and fees.
- Confidential Settlements (2017 – 2018) - Race and gender discrimination, disability discrimination and retaliation, violence in the workplace, Collectively recovered over $1.4 Million.
- Rabidou, Superior Court of Okanogan County v. Okanogan County (and County Commissioners) (2017) - Contract interference, wage claims, and mandamus and declaratory judgment for violation of separation of powers by the County and its Commissioners. Recovered from defendant all pay increases plus interest per Administrator’s contract with the Court for a four-year period, and all costs and fees incurred of $359,000.
- Mutchler/Wilson v. DLI (2016) - Claims of public policy violations, retaliation for engaging in protected acts. Jury verdict for one client of $575,000, global settlement in the total amount of $1,267,500.
- Confidential Settlements – Five cases (2016) - Long term race discrimination, hostile work environment, retaliation under state and federal law; disability discrimination and retaliation; retaliation for engaging in protected activity; hostile work environment; gender discrimination and retaliation. Collectively recovered over $1.6 Million.
- Lougheed v. City of Aberdeen Police Department (2015) - Claims of gender discrimination, violation of Equal Pay Act. Secured settlement of $375,000 and various non-monetary relief to comply with law.
- Confidential Settlements (2014) - Severance, wage/hour and discrimination claims, collectively more than $800,000.
- Hill v. Conroy/City of Aberdeen (2013) - State claims of sex harassment and hostile work environment. Secured a $580,000 settlement.
- Forhan v. Pacific Construction Systems, Inc. (2013) - Obtained $507,000 settlement for damages to injured worker from employer due to suppression of his worker's compensation rights and claim against public policy. Obtained earlier sanctions award for discovery violations.
- Confidential Settlement (2013) - Disability discrimination failure to accommodate. Secured a settlement of $225,000.
- Confidential Settlements (2013) - Claims of breach of shareholder and employment agreements, non-compete issues, collectively more than $1.1 million.
- Confidential Settlements - Claims of violations of Washington's Domestic Violence Leave Act by local and national companies.
- Ankeny v. Homeland Security (2011) – Federal sector male employee with claims of gender discrimination and retaliation. The case was settled for $450,000.
- Confidential Settlement (2011) – State claims of sexual harassment, assault, battery and failure to protect and remedy. Settled for $350,000.
- Fike v. DSHS/Brenda Martinez (2010) – Jury verdict and court award for damages, costs and attorneys’ fees totaling $655,000. A long-time social worker was denied reasonable accommodation for her condition and suffered a hostile work environment.
- Confidential Settlement (2009) – Claims of retaliation for reporting sex harassment and hostile work environment against a major corporation. Secured a $1.5 million settlement.
- Confidential Settlement (2008) – Claims of disability discrimination, related to contract claims. Secured a $3.5 million settlement.
- Greenwood v. DSHS (2007) - Claims of retaliation for reporting age discrimination. Jury verdict and court award of fees and costs totaling $601,174.
- Goodson v. Estate of Uraga (2014) – Tort claim for domestic violence and abuse. Settled for $900,000.
- Braatz v. Department of Social & Health Services (2017) - Violations of the Domestic Violence Leave Protection Act. Early negotiated settlement of $200,000 plus back pay and benefits.
Sexual Abuse Cases
- Three minors v. Riverview School District (2004-2007) – Secured a total of $1.425 million for victims.
- Martenson v. DSHS (2003) – Secured a $325,000 settlement for damages sustained in foster care abuse.
- Confidential Settlement (1997) – Secured a $350,000 settlement for a woman who was a victim of childhood sex abuse.
- Confidential Settlement (1999) – Secured a $600,000 settlement for a male victim of sexual coercion by another male.
- Confidential Settlement (1997) – Secured a $450,000 settlement for a woman who was a victim of childhood sex abuse by a female.
- Confidential Settlement (1994) – Secured a $275,000 settlement for a woman who was a victim of childhood sex abuse by stepfather.
Commercial Liability/Fraud/Business Tort Cases
- Insurance Commissioner as Receiver of Cascade National Insurance Company, insurer receivership (2004 – 2017) - Handed all claims disputes, litigation to recover assets, and state court receivership proceedings.
- Private Commercial Real Estate Conflict (2016) – Negotiated real estate terms, contract provisions, appraisals for owners.
- Insurance Commissioner as Receiver v. Statewide General Insurance Agency/Marcel Matar (2014) - Secured a summary judgment for Commissioner for nearly $1 million for withheld premiums and fees, breach of contract claims. Decision upheld on appeal.
- Insurance Commissioner as Receiver v. James Feltman, Trustee in Bankruptcy for Certified HR Services, et. a. (2014) - Secured appellate decision upholding Superior Court and Commissioner's Determination, against claims alleging fraudulent conveyances.
- Insurance Commissioner as Receiver of Cascade National Insurance Company v. Danny Pixler, Anthony Huff, Sheri Huff, Midwest Merger Management LLC (2010) – Secured a federal court jury verdict of $19.3 million plus costs, expenses and attorneys’ fees of $2.5 million. Case involved acts of fraud, criminal conspiracy, misrepresentations, contract breach, and violations of the consumer protection and criminal profiteering acts arising from workers’ compensation programs in California.
- Confidential Settlements (2012) - Claims of breach of shareholder and employment agreements, non-compete issues, collectively more than $1.1 million.
- Insurance Commissioner as Receiver of Cascade National Insurance Company v. Anderson (2007) – Secured a $1.5 million settlement for negligence, breach of duty and officer and director liability.
- Insurance Commissioner as Receiver of KPS Health Plans v. Schneidler, et. al (2003) – Secured a $1.35 million settlement.
- Insurance Commissioner as Receiver of KPS Health Plans, insurer receivership (1999 – 2005) – Handled all claims, contract disputes and receivership proceedings. Also handled purchase and sale of KPS to Group Health at approximately $20 million capitalization, closing the rehabilitation receivership.
- Confidential Settlement (1992) – Secured a $350,000 settlement for architectural design/defect in commercial construction following a jury verdict in the client’s favor.
- Confidential Settlement (1993) – Secured a $300,000 settlement for consumer protection violations in private school admissions and training.